Golf in Nethy Bridge started on July 1st 1893 and we are proud members of the 1893 Club, a group of more than 50 clubs worldwide all founded in that year. Although located in Nethy Bridge the club is named after the Parish whose name, Abernethy, was historically much more commonly used. But Nethy Bridge was imposed upon reluctant parishioners when the postal service was introduced!

The first course was established at Balliemore, but in 1895 the decision was taken to move to Croftcroy, its present location on land leased from the Seafield Estate. At a later date the second, third and fourth holes were added. In 1984 the current clubhouse replaced the previous wooden structure. And in 1994 the Club purchased the course from the Seafield Estate, with the help of a grant from the Foundation for Sports and the Arts.

In 1993 the Club celebrated its centenary which was recognised by the Royal and Ancient Golf Club via a congratulatory telemessage - remember those?

The monument (our 8th and signature hole) is a war memorial for the fallen in World War 1 and 2. Over the years many visitors have remarked about the unusual if not unique siting for a war memorial in the middle of a golf course. However for the parishioners of Abernethy it was an admirable site because at the time nearly all the forests had been felled and the memorial could be seen from every corner of the parish.

alt text


A well hit ball from the 8th tee will float over the memorial but on one occasion in August 1982 a visitor from Glasgow, Mrs Nan Don, failed with her tee shot to clear the monument and to her surprise saw her ball lodge in the right hand aperture of the Celtic cross - a shot in a million which may never again be repeated.

More recently the Club acquired a brass bell, now located by the 8th green. The bell was donated by Ian and Alison Mitchell in memory of Sergeant Thomas Stewart Shaw, winner of the Distinguished Conduct Medal for acts of bravery in the village of Zillebeke, Belgium, during May 1940. Sergeant Shaw was tragically killed trying to defuse a mine on North Uist in 1943 and is buried in the Nethy Bridge Old Kirk graveyard. His name is also on the war memorial.


alt text



Our Partners